Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Product Review: Acne Free


Years ago, when Proactive first came out, I wanted to try it for my son who was really having a hard time with Acne. At the time, Proactive cost $30, which was a lot of money for us back then. I was  new to the internet, and didn't feel safe buying anything online. At the same time, my skin was breaking out more than it did when I was 15! I always wanted to try Proactive on myself, but just never got around to doing it. 

Then last June I was in Walgreens, and saw Acne Free, and decided to give it a try. It comes with three bottles: Purifying Cleanser, Renewing Toner, and Repair Lotion.

Step 1: Wash face with Purifying Cleanser, and rinse well.
Step 2: Apply renewing toner, and allow to dry air dry.
Step 3: Apply Repair Lotion. (this can stay on under your make-up.)

At first I was a little worried. I started using it while on my Epic Journey, so I wasn't sure if my extremely dry and peeling skin was from windburn, or from the Acne Free, but it does say that your skin will be extremely dry for the first several days using the product. 

By the end of my 7 day trip, my face was not only completely clear, but the texture was starting to change as well! Three months later, Dean laid his hand on my face and commented how smooth my skin is lately. 

People, this stuff WORKS! 

Since I've started using it, there have been a couple of times when I've gone out of town and it at home. By the time I got home the difference in my skin was very noticeable! It's now become one of my "don't leave home without it" items. 

I do NOT know how it compares to Proactive. The one thing I do know is while staying overnight at my sister-in-law's I once used her proactive cleanser. (equivalent to my purifying cleanser.) Hers had a lot more exfoliating particles in it than mine has. Since then I've noticed that with Acne Free, how much exfoliating product is in the cleanser is VERY inconsistent. But, it still works well!

About 3 months ago I ran out of the toner, but still had a lot of the other products left so I didn't buy more. Within days I noticed another improvement in my skin! Hmmmmmm When it came time for me to buy another kit, I tried the toner again and my skin started breaking out that night, worse than it had in months. I no longer use the toner at all, and my skin is perfectly clear. Occasionally I get ONE blemish on my chin, but this is far better than what I used to have. When I do get a blemish, I put a dab of repair lotion on it and it'll clear up right away. (unfortunately I can't leave anything alone and tend to pick at things, making the problem worse. ) The large pores that used to be visible on my nose have all shrunk down to being invisible again. 

I will stay with this product for a VERY long time! The only thing I would suggest is if the company would sell the bottles individually. While the kit is supposed to be a 30 day supply, it takes me about 3 months go to through the cleanser, but only about 2 months to go through the repair lotion (it's a MUCH smaller bottle!) and I don't use the toner at all and get a little crabby that I have to buy it in order to get the other stuff.

So, to recap: AWESOME product for a low price, but packaging needs to change! (edited to add: After posting this, I found that you CAN buy the bottles individually online on the site linked above. YAY!) 




2 comments:

junglemama said...

Intersting, my kids use Proactive and I am not that impressed. I will have to try this stuff!

datri said...

I'll have to try it out. It's completely embarrassing to be over 40 with an acne problem.