Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cremnophobia

Cremnophobia is the fear of ice. I have that now. 

Yeah, I developed it last year when I shattered my wrist on a day just like today! We had a sudden warm spell yesterday, causing melting everywhere. The 2 feet of snow on our roof melts, and drains down onto our front sidewalk. (need gutters much? LOL) Then at night when the temperature drops everything freezes again, creating a skating rink.

I intended to salt the driveway last night before I went to bed, but I realized it was useless. Most of the salt would get washed away by morning.

So this morning I GOT DRESSED before going outside (no more "naked in my robe" excursions for me.) to go out before Angela and check the ice factor. Bag of salt in hand, I stuck a toe out in front of me, checking the surface for any hint of being slippery. Nope, just wet! But, I could see further down the driveway where Angela would need to walk that it was melting ice, which means quite slippery.

That's too much driveway for the little bag of salt I had, so I decided to just walk her down to make sure she didn't slip and fall. There were definitely some dangerous patches! By the time she comes home from school today what was ice at the bottom of the hill should just be water. However, tomorrow I'll have to do this all over again!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Oh - I didn't know the name for it, but I have it too - since December when I totaled my car in the black ice! :-) Here's to a shorter than usual winter!