Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pride in my husband

My previous post was about finding out that Dean was proud of me for accomplishing something. I think it only fair that I also tell you how proud I am of him!

A year ago, Dean needed some major dental work done, except that the oral surgeon wouldn't tough him until he brought his blood pressure down. So he went to the doctor who basically told him he's a walking heart attack! A smoker, and overweight, without any exercise, it was only a matter of time. 

And so he decided to make some changes! While on our Make A Wish trip last year, he quit smoking. Yes, yesterday was 1 year since he's had a cigarette! He went from 2 packs a day to nothing. He did use Chantix for one month. I'm so proud of him. I know how difficult that was for him. There are days when he says, "Man, I really want a cigarette right now!" and he will always have those days. But he gets through them, because he's a strong man. I know he's way stronger than me, because I could never do it!

The smoking done, blood pressure coming down, he entered the surgical suite to have $10K worth of much needed dental work done. If there are any teenagers reading who smoke, just know it DOES eventually destroy your teeth! There will come a day when the dentist tells you, "Sorry, we can't save any of them."

Quit smoking: Check
New Smile: Check

Starting to feel like a new person,  in August he decided he needed to loose weight. I think it happened when we went on our motorcycle trip together, and he couldn't zip his leather riding jacket! He signed up for Jenny Craig, and so far he's lost 30 pounds!!! (I've been on JC for 13 months and only lost 15, but that is all my fault.) He wears a pedometer every day, and does his best to get his 10,000 steps in.

All these changes made in one year, many of them things that others struggle with individually. I'm so proud of him! 

1 comment:

SunflowerStories said...

that is awesome! good job, Dean!