Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Looks can be deceiving!


When under stress, eat chocolate cereal. Well, at least that my and Dean's motto. So I found this at the little market across the street. The cereal says "Nestle", the milk says some version of 2%. (the coke in the background just happened to be there, I didn't eat it all together.)

Well, being the math wiz that I am, I have put 2 & 2 together, and discovered why europeans are not fat, and Americans are. They don't sweeten ANYTHING! The cereal is whole grain, and there is a very slightly sweet coating on the pieces, that quickly disappears to leave you with bland, unsweetened chocolate. If you've ever had Cocoa malto meal without sugar, it is exactly the same taste.

As for the milk, I'm pretty sure it's soy. At least this particular kind.

Yesterday I had my first cappuccino. I don't drink coffee but I really needed a good shot of caffeine. I put sugar in it, except the only table sugar they have here is raw sugar. I had no idea that stuff doesn't dissolve in anything with milk, cappuccino included!

We've tried several different types of chocolate here, and all of it is either NOT, or only slightly sweetened. Nothing like our creamy milk chocolate back in the states. No wonder people here aren't fat. Who wants to eat unsweetened chocolate? I would think this would be a good diet plan. You know, just move to Bulgaria for a few weeks, right? Well, there is a lot of bread here! I'm trying to stick to salads and stuff like that during the day, but will admit my defeat.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I normally buy the same brand of milk when in Hungary/other central European countries, and I think that particular design is not soy. It's just that weird. I don't drink milk, neither do my kids, but we use it for some cooking, and I'm almost 100% sure that's just a plain 3.2% fat content (very fatty as milk goes) ultra-pasteurized white milk. To be honest, I've never seen Meggle soy milk.

I think you just described why my kids were disgusted by most cereals in the States the last few weeks - even if it was the same brand we buy in Israel or Hungary. It's just not the same and it was too sweet for them. (Oatmeal, on the other hand, was heaven with the gazillion flavors!)

If you decide to fly through Israel, let me know, and I'll take some cookies to the airport to you! We weren't sure we could get home from NYC on Wednesday, we woke up on the flight to our captain telling us we might get stuck in Portugal!

Milena said...

Being European, I can only smile :-)

I don't think the milk is soy though, it doesn't say so on the carton.

Is there really no milk chocolate? Look for the same word that you have on that milk carton, and it might help. Dark chocolate is quite popular though, at least here.

Ellen Stumbo said...

Well now you know why I lost 12 lbs in 7 weeks!

Sheila said...

looka for snickers and twix -- careful of the twix, it comes mixed with filling sometimes. Randy subsisted on these during our trip to Ukraine.

Stay safe and I hope to see you soon. Let Dean know that we will help with anything we can.

Sheila

Shea said...

The chocolate in Estonia was not sweet either. I did not like it at all!