Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

So, how was camp, anyway?

I forgot to tell you about camp! 

Camp was pretty much a "non-event" because Angela made it so.  I don't mean that in a bad way, but in a good way.

We made the 4 hour drive out there easily. I allowed for 5 hours (because I have to stop and sleep a lot, and there was eating to be done.) so we had plenty of time. Angela travels really well and LOVES road trips! 

As we finally pulled into the parking lot there, Angela leaned over, put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Mom, I'll get my suitcase, you drop me off." (Oh, I just realized I already told you that part.)

So, what did she DO at camp? Well, they decorated easter eggs, had an easter egg hunt, built a mini golf course, then played mini golf. They cooked, and they had a dance, just to name a few of the things they crammed into the weekend.

The camp director said that Angela did FANTASTIC, and is more than ready for their week-long program she's registered for in July. 

Once in the car, Angela informed me that next time she's bringing a pillow, a blankie, and a stuffed animal. Angela is not attached to any items, but one of the girls who shared her room is, and apparently Angela thought that was a pretty cool idea. She's already decided WHICH stuffed animal she's bringing, which blanket, and which pillow. I doubt she'll forget either.

She also listed for me the 15 or so people she invited to her birthday party! Since there were only 10 campers, I'm assuming the rest were staff. LOL

They do not have an indoor pool there, so she didn't need her swimming suit. (but they have a great outdoor pool for the summer that's in a well-shaded area which will be great for her!) She was disappointed she couldn't go swimming, but I'm sure she got over it pretty quickly! 

So camp was great, and I highly recommend the Wisconsin Easter Seals camp to anyone. For Angela it seems to be a better fit than anything available to her here in MN (except for the DS camp which we've not yet had a chance to try.) They have several different programs serving kids with all level of disability, and they also have an asperger/autism camp.

5 comments:

SunflowerStories said...

Wow, sounds like a great place! Glad you found a place that Angelais excited about.

Monica said...

Very cool!! We'll have to look into this camp, when Mom and Adam are ready :)

Beverly said...

that sounds so nice! I am too scared to send Noah off to a camp. Maybe when he is older but for now, I am too nervous about it. I love how she loved going and had so much fun!

My name is Sarah said...

Sounds like camp was great.

Michelle said...

YAY!! I'm so glad Angela had a great time. I'm so excited for Karly to go there in July!!