Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Thursday, April 16, 2009

*just* Down syndrome

That's what I want today. Today I want a kid who ONLY has Down syndrome. Angela has so many things that are totally unrelated to DS, and today THOSE are the things driving me crazy. If we were dealing with just Down syndrome alone, life would be a piece of cake!

Angela's bus comes at 7:35, but today she didn't make it to school until 9:30. Needless to say, it was a rough morning around here, and I'm sporting a lovely new bruise to prove it.

By the time I dropped her off at school I was ready for a nap! But, instead I went to the Y for my class. When I got there, I sat down to change my shoes and the tears started flowing. I didn't even know they were there, and I don't even know why they started.  I think it was more of one of those cries that happen when things are tough and I've had to keep myself together, then when the crisis is over and I let my guard down the tears flow. So, I did what any responsible crier would do, and locked myself in a bathroom stall until I could compose myself. Once I'd accomplished that I made it through my class without any further drama. LOL

Now I'm looking at the clock, and wondering how I'm going to let Angela redeem herself when she gets home. You see, in the heat of the moment this morning, I told her, "If you miss the bus, you won't be going to SOS players today!"  That was really dumb of me, because while this would normally have worked as a motivator, there is always the off chance that it won't....and it didn't! However, she CAN'T miss SOS today because they're getting ready for a big show and she needs to practice. Now I need to think of a clever way for her to re-earn it back. This is one of those days where I wish I could think better on my feet in the heat of the moment.

Our mornings were going quite well here for a couple of months, but now we seem to have taken a step backward. Lovely. 


2 comments:

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Hugs, hugs and more hugs coming your way.

Beverly said...

Sorry for your bad morning! Hope it will all work out and the mornings get better! Sending prayers and hugs!