Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Monday, April 13, 2009

Remind me why I'm killing myself

I am tired of being fat, that's why. I've been on Jenny Craig for 15 months, and lets face it, I suck! The Jenny Craig program is great, and the counselors there are wonderful. Dean even joined with me last fall and promptly lost 25 pounds! 

Somehow, in March, we fell off the Jenny Craig wagon, and we each gained 5 pounds over the month. Now we're back on, and I'm still determined. 

Here's what's killing me. The workouts! I joined the Y over a year ago, and barely went at all. Then after the new year I decided enough is enough. Throwing money down the drain is dumb. Either I go or I drop the membership. (I'd like to add that Dean has yet to use our family membership!) So I started going. 

A month ago I started taking the "Boot Camp" class two mornings per week, but it was clear those 2 mornings weren't going to do much for me. I knew I needed to do more, but just couldn't make myself do it. They are HARD classes, and I don't enjoy them. I have to FORCE myself to get out of the house and go to them. I've gone so far as to say to someone I know is going to be in a class "Yes, I'll be there tomorrow." because I know they'll give me a hard time if I don't go. LOL

So Thursday last week I went to "Boot Camp", then Friday I went to "Body Step Express" which is all cardio. Yeah, I about died in that class. I was able to keep up until about the last 10 minutes when I got too tired for my brain to keep up with the steps. But I didn't quit, I just did my own thing. LOL Saturday I went to "Zumma" class. My boot camp instructor convinced me to give it a try, and she was new at it too, so I went. This class is more of a dance-type class that is a very good cardio workout, however I learned that I'm clearly missing a joint in my back because MY hips cannot DO what the instructor's (or other student's) hips were doing! (and to be completely honest here, I wondered how many husbands I've disappointed with my lack of hip movement????????) Perhaps my hips WERE moving, but it was just hard to see under the fat? Then I saw that my boot camp instructor was having a hard time with the hip thing too, and I felt much better. LOL

Today I went back for "Body Step Express" only the class had changed, and it was different. BUT, I liked it better. It was still a very tough work-out, but less complicated. I was able to do the whole thing...barely...and half way through the class I had to keep repeating to myself, "this is good for me. This is good for me. This IS good for me!" One woman in the class was wearing a calorie counter thingy and it said she'd burned 580 calories in that class! Holy cow! 

My goal is to be in a class 6 days per week. That will keep me in a routine (which I desperately need) and burn lots of calories. Now, if only I'd loose some weight! I have to doing this, right????


5 comments:

datri said...

I'm useless without a routine. I was doing great for several weeks -- as soon as the kids were on their buses, I'd jump in the car and go to the gym. But then they got sick for a couple of weeks and then Spring Break and then Easter with all that chocolate (glad I only bought 1 bag!). Fortunately I only gained 1/2 pound, but it will be nice to get back into that routine tomorrow when both of them are back in school!

Molly said...

Ohhh stick it out with the Zumba! I go twice a week and you can burn like 800 calories per class. It's insane. Its SO FUN. You get the hang of the moves after the first few classes. I see myself in the mirror and I'm like "whoa. what?"

I do weight watchers, and I lost 17 lbs on it, but gained back a bunch since Dec. Argh!

JennyH said...

Good for you! It all sounds hard to me!

Kathie Brinkman said...

Leah, you go girl!!! Keep it up. Maybe I'll join you in the 6 days a week exercise. I don't have a Y memebership, but I need to get back on the exercise track too. Need to shake off the winter hibernation tendency. Maybe I have narcolepsy too?

Monica said...

Way to go Leah!!! Keep it up! Maybe it'll rub off on me, I have gotten so lazy this winter it's terrible!!