Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's been a long day!

Angela was up ALL NIGHT last night, in tears that her throat hurt. Anyone who knows her, knows that real tears mean A LOT of pain, as she has a very high threshold. Ok, so her throat hurts. How do I know it's a complication from last weeks surgery, or just a sore throat? Well, she hasn't ever stopped complaining since surgery, so it's not "new", it was "worse".

So I waited until morning and called her doctor in Boston to get his opinion, which was to bring her into the ER because there are a couple potential complications.

We did. We were there for 4 hours. We found out she doesn't have a perforation in her esophagus, and that her lungs are clear. And that's all we found out.

There was a lot more discussion, but I'm too tired to type it all out, and it's lots of big medical words.

We came home and I hit the couch for a nap. Aside from being up all night with Angela, I've been having problems with my ears since we flew TO Boston. (Eustachian dysfunction) and my ears have never unplugged. I haven't been able to hear out of my right ear since the 13th, but no pain at all. So I took my nap, and when I woke up I felt like my right ear was going to explode. It was 6:30, so my option was to head to urgent care, or wait it out and risk it being really bad at midnight. (or making it to morning without any problems!) I opted for urgent care.

Fortunately I was in and out pretty quickly. Unfortunately there's nothing they could do with me. My ear isn't infected, but the drum is severely retracted and the doctor said it will probably tear overnight. Lovely. It'll hurt like the devil and then I'll be able to hear again. The doctor did say the ENT's are in the clinic tomorrow, and because most people don't like to schedule appointments this close to Christmas there's probably an opening. If I'm really lucky I could get a tube put in my ear tomorrow. I do know, at the very least, I need tubes before the Bulgaria trip.

Dean finally went back to work today after 9 days of the flu and 103* fever.

Seriously, it feels like the plague has hit our house!

I am not done Christmas shopping. I haven't gotten all of Angela's teacher gifts done. My Christmas cards have been reworded to "Happy New Year", and I need to do laundry in order to pack Angela's bag to spend some time with her dad's side of the family and her big brother Robbie who will be in town with his kids! There are dishes in the sink, and I'm just too tired to do anything. Maybe tomorrow....


Warpedwoman said...

Although I had surgery rather than dilation (and it was lower) - a few days after surgery I was pretty much in tears over the pain. The day after that night I felt a whole lot better so I hope and pray its like this for Angela too.
My vey best wishes to you all for Christmas.

Sheila said...

It always seems that the 3rd day after surgery was the worst and then it got better. I hope this is the case for Angela. Get some rest and stop fretting over the stuff that you "have" to get done before Christmas - Christmas is a time for peace and understanding and family.

Stacy said...

I sure hope things start lookin up for you both. Keep saying "This too shall pass, this too shall pass..." Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!! (with no ear or throat pain)