Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Monday, February 07, 2011

On Homeschooling Axel

I need to go back and clarify some things. I have several reasons for not originally wanting to homeschool Axel:

 1) he has never been allowed to be in a school situation with other children his age. It is just the two of us here during the day, and he needs to be around KIDS. He is 10 1/2. He is not a little boy anymore and he needs to learn to be around groups of people. He needs to be flooded with conversational language. That doesn't happen when it's just he and I all day long. That, and the fact he is extremely socially delayed.

2) Some of you may not know that I'm a full-time student! I just took this year off so I can complete two adoptions. (ahem...we have only completed one so far. It is February, and yes, we do have things in the pipeline for our second adoption.) I have to go back to classes in September. Full-time classes plus all the homework that goes with them.

3) Because Axel has never been in school, I do not expect to just plop him into school full-time in September. He's going to need some time to ease into it, and when I start back to school in the fall, Axel has to be in school full-time. This surgery has pretty much thrown that right out the window. There will be no "easing him in". I don't see this as ideal for Axel, but maybe he'll surprise me.

4) After this surgery, Axel is not going to feel like doing much work. In the months he has the halo on I don't expect to get much out of him as far as school work is concerned. But, even if he has the surgery in the next couple of weeks, we're looking at August-ish for him to get the halo off. See the last two sentences in #3.

So...that's why I'm having issues with homeschooling Axel. I would LOVE to homeschool him for years. It just isn't realistic right now.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I don't think you need to explain yourself on why you don't or can't homeschool Axel. Home schooling is something i could never do cause I SUCK at teaching..love to learn but teaching not my strong suit. It's not for everyone. Everything will work out for Axel..you know it will. :)

Natalie said...

You might still be able to do a little easing into school for Axel, if he can participate in summer school (aka extended school year programming). I know he'll still be in the halo, but it won't be brand new for him, and even if he just did an hour or less a day--maybe even just coming for snack or break time--a few days a week while summer school was in session,it might be doable. (Said the woman who has never had a child in a halo).

Anyway, it could give him an opportunity to get a little interaction with the other kids, instead of just relying on meeting the teacher and touring the school before he is actually there. Maybe.

Don't you hate it when you have what seems like a good idea, and then when you write it down, you realize that you really have no basis for offering your opinion on the subject?