Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Dog nails 101

Bethany asked a good question about dog nails. Does the quick grow with the nails? Yes, Bethany, it does. First I needed to get pictures of the dog nails. I had to laugh, because when I told Zurri "Down", all three of these guys collapsed right where they were. Even Dudley who's high on morphine! LOL


Below is a picture of Roman's nails, looking at them from underneath.


And here's a picture of Zurri's nails (standard poodle)


Also, "DoberDawn" has a good description of how to dremmel nail
s, along with diagrams!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Okay, so I can keep trimming slowly and the quick will grow back. It is so hard because her nails are all black and I hit the quick last time and good Lord it took forever for that thing to stop bleeding!

Leah Spring said...

Right! But, if you're using a regular nail trimmer, NEVER EVER EVER trim the nails without syptic powder (also called "stop quick") It's a clotting agent that will stop the nail from bleeding very quickly. If you can't find it (I've never seen a pet store NOT have it in stock) you can use flour, but it won't work as quickly.

Leah Spring said...

Oops, also, under her nails, use YOUR finger nail and find the soft part that is the quick. Then you'll know where to stay away from. If my dog's nails were longer I'd take a picture so you could see what it looks like on long nails.

Leah Spring said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelley said...

Hi Leah, this might be a silly questions (pretty sure it is), but do you think this (cutting them every few days) would work for a rabbit? I never thought of them being long as being painful, but I would hate for them to be. I'm always scared to cut them because I did once get the quick and was horrified at how much blood there was.
Anyway, I enjoy reading your blog so much and miss it when you don't post for a few days. You have a great writing "voice."
Loved the pictures of you all.
Angela is looking more and more grown up.
Kelley