Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Homecoming

This past week was Homecoming week in our school district. Since Angela is now in 7th grade, and her middle school is attached to the high school, she's become much more aware of some of the social things that go on outside of the school day. Dean and I decided it was time to get a little more involved with them, show some school spirit, and go to the game.

Angela LOVES sporting events. She loves cheering on the home team, and she loves the energy. But mostly, she likes the food. LOL When we bought our tickets she was a little miffed that there were no hot dogs coming out of the ticket window and complained, "What? No food???" Of course, we had to walk past all the food to get to the bleachers. Poor kid. She is so deprived.

So Angela, Dean and I enjoyed the game, and the spirit that comes with school sporting events.
However, I have to admit I was distracted, and having a hard time.

While Angela and Dean were watching the game, I was watching all of Angela's classmates run around without their parents. The girls trying to figure out how to flirt with the boys. The boys totally oblivious. The giggling and whispering, and squeals if "There he is!" as one group went chasing after another. I loved their clothes, and their hair. Their tiny jeans, that I bet didn't need $30 worth of alterations for them to fit. Angela needs the zippers removed and replaced with velcro, and about 12-14 inches off the length.

All the while, Angela sat between us.

Several of her friends said hello, but nobody invited her to come hang out with them. The mother of one of her friends was sitting near us, along with a much younger sibling. Her friend came and got her little sister and brought her to the concession stand. A few minutes later they came back and the little sister was handed over to her mom, while the classmate took off with her friends again. Later, on the way home, Angela said, "Maybe next time S will take me to get a snack?"

Oh man....my heart ached with her.

Our district is HUGE, with 15 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, and 3 or 4 high schools. There were thousands of people at last night's game, and there's no way I would have been able to let Angela go on her own, but I know that in the company of friends she would have been fine.

So, after I had my pity-party cry, I decided Angela needs to start going to all the home games that she can. There aren't quite so many people at those, and I could start to give her a little more freedom. And, if we always sit in the same area, she'd learn very quickly how to find her way back. Once she's comfortable, (and I'm comfortable!) and her friends see her in a different environment other than school, maybe some more social stuff will start happening for her.

Ok, pity party OVER! Time to move on!

4 comments:

Tamara said...

I totally get that. I totally think you're on the right track. I should be doing the same thing, but dang, I don't want to!

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. My heart melted with you and I wiped a few tears too. It's hard, so hard yet you were EXCELLENT!!! Pity party over with in seventh grade and you have an awesome plan established that will so help Angela get to where she needs to be socially by high school.

Lund7 said...

Leah, I wish Angela knew my 8th grade daughter...Hannah said she'd be happy to have her hang out at the games. Both my daughters were there last night too! Maybe they could meet at swimming sometime. Do you guys swim with Keanne still? We haven't been to the pool since he returned from vacation!

Does Angela know any 7th graders at school that she could go to the home games with? Maybe someone from her days at GH that she still sees in Middle School. I feel for her and you and I know it will be the same thing for us once Ricky is older!

Christina said...

Man..it breaks my heart too when kids what to play with Brittany but don't want Kallie in on it...I pray that Miss Angela can get some friends to hang out with at functions :)