Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Nickelodeon Universe follow-up


I spent most of yesterday morning making phone calls to address the situation that happened at Nickelodeon Universe at the Mall of America.

1)  I filed an online complaint with Nickelodeon Universe. I wonder who actually gets those?

2) I contacted the Minnesota Disability Law Center. They took all the information about the case and said it would be approximately one week before I hear back from them.

3) Contacted the Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities who was not happy to hear about the incident. They gave some input on additional calls to make. 

4) Contacted the Minnesota Department of Human Rights. They took my information and got back to me within a couple of hours. They took a formal statement and informed me about the process. They said it was a clear case of discrimination based on disability. 

5) Contacted local news stations (KSTP, WCCO, and KARE) about the incident. I haven't heard back from any of them.

Tomorrow is another day. Since I got all these phone calls and conversations completed I can spend tomorrow doing fun stuff with the kids!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Right On Leah! You've done a great job, I'm proud of you. I totally would of lost it on the idiots in the first place....

Anonymous said...

Way to go Leah!

You are right on about contacting the local media -- assuming you (and/or your kids) are willing to speak to a reporter on the record, it is a GREAT way to inform the world at large about discrimination against people with disabilities.

I'm guessing you will get a call back from the local paper sooner rather than later -- I went to college in a smallish city, my BFF had a guide dog (seeing eye dog) and was illegally denied access to local businesses on something approaching a regular basis, i.e. restaurant would not allow her guide dog to enter. She always filed a complaint and called the local paper... and more often than not, a few days later an article about the incident was published, usually accompanied by a large and fetching photograph of my BFF and her guide dog in front of the business that violated her rights!!