Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Call it what it is

It's ok to say I'm obsessed with making heads and faces right now. It's the eyes...they eyes are bothering me. There are many dolls on the market which are labeled as "Down syndrome dolls", but people who know DS better than anyone will tell you a lot of those dolls don't really look like they have Ds. I've seen one that looked like it was a someone who'd been in a car wreck, and really I considered it an insult that this doll was being marketed to our kids as one that "looked like them".

Now, I don't have a clue what I'm doing. You know that, right? I'm lacking a couple important tools for one thing, but they'll have to wait. Fortunately polymer clay doesn't dry out until you bake it so it will wait for me to get a couple more tools. It also means I can come back and do the eyes again, and again, and again....not a good thing! LOL

So those faces, they're hard to do. Well, I don't really know what I'm going in the first place but still. And we all know that all people with DS are not alike. While their eyes might have similar traits, they're not exactly the same.  Look at Angela's eyes, which are the more common almond shape, compared to Axel's which are anything but! Angela also has epicanthal folds, while Axel does not. Angela has almost no nasal bridge, where Axel's is more developed, Angela's mid-face is flatter, Axel's has more fullness.


And so I continue to mess with the polymer, often in the middle of the night. My time is running out though, because school starts two weeks from today, and then I'll be up all night doing homework, not playing with clay. But I'll give you a sneak peak. (which looks nothing like anyone I know! LOL)

2 comments:

Sandryte said...

Hey Leah! When I saw your last fairy, I thought 'wow, this woman even make fairies with DS! What a talent to copy facial expressions so delicately!' :) And here it is - your post, where you are saying that you need to work more!

Carissa said...

I wish I had your talent! That's incredible! Now I have to go look at the fairy the PP mentioned!

Can you make a pattern on paper from a photo to fit your doll's head then copy it to the clay? Some photo editing software can even turn a photo to a drawing, which would take some of the "noise" of the fine details you can do youself out.