Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Friday, April 25, 2008

Funeral

Tomorrow we're attending the funeral of Dean's cousin's son. I never met 18 year old Eric, but I know I will spend this entire funeral crying. (obituary here)

Eric was severely disabled, and required a lot of care.

The day Eric died, as soon as Dean told me I was in tears for his mother. Dean was a little surprised that I was so upset. After all, I'd never met Eric, and have only met his mom once. So I tried to explain to him what I was feeling.

A few years ago Angela had a classmate named Spencer who was 8 years. A big kid who towered over 5 year old Angela, but Angela was his favorite. She could get him to do anything! At 8 years old Spencer functioned at about a 6 month level, was the height of a 12 year old, and weighed about 150 lbs. But he had one saving grace, and that was he was able to walk, even if it was with a lot of support. It made getting him from point A to point B much easier.

One day at school Spencer was very irritable, kind of whiny. Mid morning he started running a temp so his mom was called. They made the agonizingly slow trip to the car, then headed for home, but on the way he started seizing. Mom reversed course and headed for the hospital just a couple miles down the road. (this was before everyone had cell phones.) But Spencer's heart gave out before they made it there.

At the funeral, when I went to give his mom a hug, she pulled away, hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eye. With tears streaming down her face she asked me, "Now what? What do I do now? For the past 8 1/2 years every waking moment has been spent caring for Spencer. I'm Spencer's mom. I'm not Debbie, I'm Spencer's mom. What do I do now? How will I find my way?"

So tonight, as I figure out what to wear for the funeral of a young man I've never met, I can't help but put myself in the shoes of his mom. Naturally I would be upset if anything happened to ANY of my kids. Angela, though, is different. I practically know every cell in her body. The most I know about my other kids' genetic make-up is that I was their mother, and Kevin was their father. I have seen Angela's internal organs. I have nursed her through almost every ailment known to Down Syndrome. I have spent countless hours helping her to achieve what others take for granted. Although Tyler is back home at the moment, he is self sufficient. Angela is not. I would venture to say that 90% of my being revolves around Angela's care and nuturing.

I am "Angela's Mom".

Over the past year I have started to find "me" again. Just little things here and there. I'm afraid of the "what if" with Angela. I know that if something happens to her, I'll be lost for a long time. I guess it's kind of inevitable when we have kids who require a bit more care.

If you could, please remember Eric's parents in your prayers, especially his mom.

1 comment:

WheresMyAngels said...

You got me crying hard! Prayers for his family!