Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Sing It

Alright, I'd admit that I'm slightly obsessed with Angela's obsession with the theater. I'm of the mindset that if a kid communicates and interest in something, you run with it. Let them try lots of different things while you figure out where their skills and talents lie. What they don't like or they tire of, you drop. I think our interests and skills continue to evolve throughout our lifetime, as experience takes us to new places.

Angela has tried softball (hated it) soccer (didn't really care for it), basketball (loves it) track and field (loves it) bowling (loves it) Swimming (loves it if you don't make her go under the water.) And is now getting the opportunity to give Theater a try. She particularly loves musicals, and musical theater requires one to develop their voice, so I've decided to let her try her hand (or should I say voice) at voice lessons.

I didn't really give this much thought, but certainly didn't think it would be as difficult as it was to find a voice teacher willing to work with her. I am so fed up with other people's fear of those who are differently-abled, and preconcieved ideas about what some people can/can't do. Yesterday I spoke to seven or eight voice teachers in the area, who all said things like, "Sorry, I don't work with kids like that." or "I think there are special schools for kids like that." UGH!!!!

Finally I got a reply back from Debbie at The Mason Music Studio who said she'd love to work with Angela.

I don't care of all she learns to sing is the Itsy Bitsy Spider. I don't care if she never sings a note on key. What I care about is the experience, and anything beyond that is a bonus in my book!

No comments: