Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Well?

Do you know what day it was yesterday? It was Tuesday. It's the day the cabinets were supposed to go in. Supposed to. They didn't.

I am pretty sure I'm near the end of my rope with the kitchen thing. We're at 9 1/2 weeks of construction now. I have not had a kitchen sink or stove since January 28th. In case you'd like to know, that is 43 days of doing dishes in the bathroom sink. 43 days of microwave or toaster oven food, delivered pizza, or pancakes. 43 days of having to visit three different rooms in the house 17 times each just to put dinner on the table. (if it can even be called dinner.) The fact that **I**, queen of microwave cooking, and tired of said microwave speaks volumes!!!

Two weeks ago when we stayed in the hotel, it was right next to a McDonalds. As we turned onto the street Angela complained, "Awww...McDonalds AGAIN???" There was a time when we had to tell Angela "No more fast food." and now here she is telling US she's had enough. So have I Angela, so have I!

Axel had never seen paper plates before this project started. He's so confused about what gets thrown away and what goes into the bathroom (?? HUH???) sink. I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy all new silverware when everything is said and done because I think a fair number of items have found their way to the garbage my mistake.

Our bedroom and the guest bedroom have become the "If you don't know where to put it, toss it in there!" rooms. Both the upstairs and downstairs bathroom sinks have dishes in them. The coffee pot is in the basement bathroom and there is oatmeal, salt and pepper and snack bars in the upstairs bathroom linen closet. The fridge (the beautiful new fridge that still has all it's protective coverings on it!) is in the entryway, and you can find the bread, butter, syrup, cereal and peanut butter on top of that same fridge.

The microwave is trying very hard to die and now has only one button that works consistently. It says, "frozen vegetables" and goes for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. If you have a short attention span like I do, this is bad. Oatmeal only takes 1 minute 30 seconds but if you wander away...yeah...it burns through those styrofoam bowls.

The new date for the cabinets to be installed is Tuesday March 20th. That will be day 50. If there is another delay I am just not going to come out of my bedroom anymore. No...no I will stay in bed with the covers over my head.

2 comments:

Kathie Brinkman said...

Wow! That sucks. Tell your contractor that you have tons of local friends on FB and your blog and if he doesn't make this right, IMMEDIATELY, you'll post bad comments about him all over cyberspace. Yeah, I know, it's bullying, but sometimes it works!!

Leah Spring said...

Unfortunately the "finishing guy" had vacation time planned, that happened to fall when our cabinets were ready for finishing! The good thing is, they're being finished as I type! I think.