Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ear tubes

I've been trying to get into the ENT to get tubes in my ears before we leave. I have a terrible time with my ears when flying. First of all, the descent is excruciating. The only thing I can compare it to is someone sticking ice picks in my ears, and I can tell you when the plane starts descending before YOU can feel it. That happens with EVERY flight.

Then there is my hearing. Because my ear drums get vacuum sucked into my years, my hearing is significantly affecting. Usually it returns to normal in a few hours, but when we went to Boston in December, for some reason it took 6 weeks for my Eustachian tubes to open up again, allowing my ear drums to return to normal.

Before you get all silly on me with suggestions of chewing gum, swallowing hard, drinking something, and plugging my nose in an attempt to pop my ear drums, SAVE YOUR BREATH! I have severe Eustachian dysfunction, and those things don't work. Even if they did, I'm not able to pop my ear drums without falling to the floor because the world is spinning, thanks in part to Meniere's Disease.

I've known for a long time I should get tubes in my ears, but I don't fly very often so I figure I'll live without them. But this trip? NO WAY! Too many flights close together!

So...anyway...I was supposed to have an appointment with the ENT on Friday, but I found out today that I don't. So please join my in prayer that tomorrow I can get an appointment AND tubes in place in time for the trip. Otherwise, for the last 40 minutes of ever flight, Shelley is going to be miserable. ~wink~

No comments: