Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Snowpants

Last night, in the middle of the night, I woke up having a panic attack about snowpants. No...really....

You may remember my post about Angela taking the regular ed. bus to middle school this year. Now, Angela would have ALWAYS been able to take the reg. ed. bus, but we've never lived in the boundaries of her school, so she's always been on the special ed. bus. But, THIS year, we finally live within the boundaries, so she can take the reg. ed bus in the morning. Because she will still be on a short day this year due to her health issues (she'll be coming home at 12:00) she'll be riding the special ed bus home.

So...in the middle of the night I got to thinking about her riding that bus. I wonder where it will pick her up? There aren't any other middle school students within 2 blocks of us, and we're right on the corner where they pull into our neighborhood, so I'm hoping she'll be one of the lucky few that get picked up at her driveway.

Then I got to thinking about the cold. Angela gets VERY cold, and HELLO! It's Minnesota!! She usually goes to the bus stop with hat, mittens, scarf, boots, the whole shebang. And yes, snowpants. Sometimes she's standing down there for 5 minutes, and sometimes for 15, in the wind and cold, waiting for the bus to come.

But middle school kids don't WEAR snowpants. Or boots. And you're lucky to get a hat and gloves on them. She is going to FREEZE at the bus stop, and that's if it's at our driveway! What if she has to go down the street to catch it? That would be two blocks, and I don't trust her to walk that. I'd have to go with her, which I will, but...you know what I mean. How can I work on this whole independence thing when I'm walking her to the bus?

Ok, I have a whole month to worry about flippin snowpants.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks of these "little" things and obsesses about them long before I need to :)
As for the snow pants....I have no idea. I pray I never live anywhere cold enough to have to think about snow pants!

Martha said...

Hi, I saw your comment over on Christine's blog. I also have a son who struggled with what I believe was undiagnosed ODD. (Does it run in families? We seem to have a few family members with this way of thinking.) My boy is now almost 25 years old, married and expecting his first child in December. I pray he does NOT get a child just like himself. Only prayer, and lots of it, really helped this boy who I love so desparately. I think he will always struggle with his own interpretaions of the world and how things work, but he has come a long way.

junglemama said...

Won't she feel the cold and decide that she wants them on her own? Just a thought.

BTW, I really appreciate you stopping by my blog. I appreciate your comments mre than you know. Can I add you to my blogroll?