Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Michael's Incident

Awhile back I had an incident in Micheal's craft store. I'm sure you've had a similar experience yourself. You know, when you go into the store for one small, inexpensive item, and spend...more. There was a similar incident five years ago, when I came home with a Xyron 900 (used approximately 7 times since purchased.)

On this day I was at the store to get velcro to modify Axel's shirts for his halo. Velcro. It only costs a couple of dollars.

But there is something about a store like Michael's, and all the "how to" books, and shiny jewels, and and and. It all just makes me feel so CRAFTY, and I feel that tiny little creative gene buried deep in my DNA squirming around. It says, "Set me free!"

The next thing I knew, I had done just that! I had FAR more stuff in my cart than I ever needed. But I was going to CREATE stuff, all with Polymer clay. No really! But you can't just buy the clay, you have to buy the really cool gadget tools too. Like the pasta machine (really!) and rollers and cutters and other little gadgety tools that I'm sure I'll use eventually. And books. Lots of books!

Some of you have have been around a couple years, and might remember when I got a bug to create clay babies. There are people in this world who can do some amazing things with polymer clay, and I wanted to be one of them. My results were not quite what I had in mind....



It's o.k. to say you're afraid. I was too! They're scary looking. I decided polymer was not for me, and I swore off clay babies for good. I would just have to admire them from afar. 

So how is it I now had a cartful of clay tools and stuff again? Because THIS time I got smart, and decided to stay away from realistic looking things. I mean, if it resembles something real, like a baby, it's too easy to see the flaws, right? 

This week I have finally had time to play with my clay. (somehow that sounds wrong.) First I made this guy, (it's a baby in a walker for those who have even less imagination than I!)  and I loved him...

That was until I took a picture and realized how unforgiving photographs are! Every little nick and blemish shows. Have I mentioned I am not the most careful person in the world? (There is a reason Dean won't let me paint wall in this house!) I'm pretty sure this has to do with my short attention span. Anyway, I was determined to try again, and this time FOCUS on what I was doing and not have little problems glaring back at me. So then I made these guys:




You might have noticed a color theme going on. For those unfamiliar, this blue and yellow are the colors that represent Down syndrome. 

So that's what I've been doing the last couple of days. I'm just going to keep practicing and practicing until I get good. I have an idea in mind that has been there for years. But whatever I do, I promise to never touch a clay baby again! 

*disclaimer* these items were created using the step-by-step instructions found in the book "Polymer Clay Characters" by Annie Lang, but don't look at the book and think mine look like hers. It's that short attention span thing.

9 comments:

And patiently waiting... said...

They are SOOOOOO cute!!!! (well not so much with the clay babies) :) Can you do a butterfly? :) I can send the $$ for the clay and we HAVE to meet in person one day!! :) Keep going I think your attention span will grow stronger! :)

Mel said...

Oh They are ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to see more!!

AZ Chapman said...

i love the bird i am hopefully going to the craft store later today to get stuff for ti die

Ellen Stumbo said...

Oh leah, you had me seriously laughing out loud! "It's okay to say you are afraid!: LOL
Oh I needed a good laugh.

And you DO have talent! Those were cute!

eliz said...

LOVE IT!! I have the "bug" too!!
((HUGS))

Kelley said...

Those are great! Who cares if they look like the ones in the book, they are YOUR absolutely GREAT creations!

Melissa said...

I love these! They are so cute! I'm not creative or crafty at all, and yet Michaels can still make me think I am. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! They were a little scary at first...but then they turned super fun!

So glad to have found your site. We do a daily video of our son who was born with down syndrome. It's been a fun ride!

We are also on Facbook. We are looking forward to learning more about you guys through your blog!

-Rick Noah's Dad

Cindy said...

Very cute! And I did notice the blue and yellow theme!