Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Big Switch…take two!

When we brought Abel home two years ago, we had all the boys in the second bedroom and Angela was still in the basement bedroom. Some of you have been reading here a long time and remember that as the Pirate Room. Unfortunately I wasn't happy with where everyone was and  "The Big Switch" happened, and everyone moved to different rooms! When we brought Audrey home last year it was very easy to move her into Angela's room. Because we use the Ikea Kura beds, we had only to flip the bed over to make it into a bunk bed. Easy peasy! Eventually Dean and I even got used to sleeping in a queen bed in the very small bedroom. Ok, maybe not the small bedroom part.

But then a couple weeks ago we decided we need a different house for our family. We would like to be able to provide short term respite for adoptive families who need a break, plus the property where we live now just isn't working well for us as a family of 7. Plus we have Angela's graduation party coming up and I just wanted things cleaned up a bit.

And so "The Big Switch Back" has started! 

Getting the rooms cleaned out and moved around to put the house on the market, in addition to all the school activities for the kids, after school sports, doctors and therapy appointments means I have been one busy mom. While I've been doing that stuff, Dean, Tyler and Bryon have been working on the maintenance projects. Why is it these kinds of things don't seem to get done until you decide to sell your house? Or have a graduation party for your oldest daughter? And where does all this STUFF come from?

Apparently we are hoarders because tucked away into every corner of this house there is more crap than I ever could have imagined. A couple months ago I read the book, "Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, the Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing". If you haven't read this book yet, I highly recommend it. The premise of the book is about only keeping things which bring you joy. It is not about what to get rid of, but about what to keep. When I read it the first time I got anxious thinking about all the stuff in my house that did not bring me joy and how I couldn't wait to get rid of it all. So, as I purge the house for moving I am following this method and only keeping things which are necessary and/or bring me joy.

How about you? Are you ready for a purge? Have you read the book or are you interested in it? 


4 comments:

Stacey Bailey said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! We just keep moving junk with us every time. The house we are renting has absolutely no storage and we have a storage unit full of stuff! Next time we move, I'll have to deal with all of it.

nicole Snitselaar said...

at the moment we are "camping" while two bedrooms are painted... I can just understand, knowing our bedrooms looked rather declutered and empty...
You should see all that came out of these 2 bedrooms ! a good thin we have no one else in the house !!! we have 2 other bedrooms full of junk and we are sleeping in a small office !!!ha ha ha !!!!!
I wish you lots of patients !

Unknown said...

I just read an article written on you, your extraordinary family, and your (faith statement) victory over cancer. I will praying continued blessings for you all. Thank you for sharing your story with the world those who read it will be better off for it.

Anonymous said...

Hello Leah,

My name is Melissa and I write for a website called The Mighty. Have you ever heard of it? We write uplifting content about disability and disease and we would love to do an article about you and maybe even feature some of your blogs on our site. Would you mind contacting me at Melissa@Themighty.com so we can discuss it further? Thanks, hope to hear from you soon.

Melissa McGlensey