Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Sunday, October 19, 2014

They're just words

The words of my life:

Cancer
Down syndrome
cricopharyngeal Achalasia
stroke
epilepsy
narcolepsy
trauma
seroma
breasts
gastrostomy tube
PTSD
RAD
side effects
inframammary fold
tissue expanders
implants
chemotherapy
mammogram
MRI
PET scan

Twenty words or terms that carry so much weight, at various points of my life dictating daily activities. While these words have certainly been the roots and stones causing me to trip along life's path, they certainly do not dictate my direction.

As I encounter each of these obstacles I am reminded that God allows for life's lessons and learning to happen. It is my job to pay attention to what He is showing me. There are some lessons I will recognize in the moment, others that will take years and come to me in an "Ah ha!" moment. I am sure there will be plenty of lessons I struggle to recognize. In my head exists a list, and on the day I stand before the Lord I will whip out that list and say, "Umm God? Ok, you know that one day when I was standing in line at the grocery store and…? So yeah…Umm ...What exactly was the purpose of that little incident?"

What are the words of your life that cause you to trip and stumble?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Mine are (in no particular order)stroke, TBI, medical malpractice, aspergers, emotiomal abuse, constitutional delays, Auditory Processing disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder,OCOAA.

Unknown said...

Autism
Diabetes
Brain damage
Sensory processing disorder
Feeding disorder
Ehlers-danlos syndrome
Asthma
Global delay
Cognitive delay
Vision impairment
Brain tumor
Chronic migraine
Auditory processing disorder
G tube
MRI
Life threatening allergies
Social anxiety
Pain
POTS
Dysautonomia