Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Tomorrow (which is really today since it's after midnight) is the funeral for Angela's grandma. Angela's dad and I divorced 9 years ago, and since her dad played gatekeeper, my contact with his mom was limited. When we divorced, I missed Pat terribly.

I adored his mom...she was a wonderful person with a heart of gold. Mostly, she loved Angela and all of our boys. But with Angela, she truly ACCEPTED her, with all of her differences. She never questioned our decisions, she only loved Angela for who she is.

Angela is going to miss Grandma Spring so much. She (Angela) has had a cold the last few days. She was much better today so I'm praying tomorrow she's over the worst of it so she can attend the funeral. Her dad doesn't want her to go at all, which is causing all kinds of tension and heated phone calls, for which I have zero patience. She's asking a million questions, I do NOT want to have to be the one to tell her she can't say goodbye to Grandma tomorrow.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Oh - I hope you win that one and she is allowed to say goodbye - prayers - hope Angela is feeling better today. I know she'll have her own way of dealing with the loss of her much-loved Grandma. Just hope all have the wisdom to give her the space she needs to grieve -

Scarehaircare said...

Seriously? Why on earth would he not want her there. Grandma Spring sounds like she was absolutely incredible.

Sending cyber chicken soup to Angela. And hugs to you, I think you need them.