Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Sunday, May 10, 2009

The end of a good weekend

It's been a really weird weekend for me. Dean went up north for fishing opener, and I was feeling a little abandoned. Yes, getting a weekend to yourself is what a lot of mother's want. But really, I get several hours to myself every day, and I had in my head that Dean and I could do something together today. So when he decided to go up north I was feeling sorry for myself that I was going to spend Mother's Day alone. None of my kids would be here, and I doubted any one of them would remember to call me. 

Angela was supposed to go to her dad's, but she had the area track meet yesterday so I took her to that first. Her dad and friend met us there. I'm glad he was able to see her compete in her last race, which was a relay. Really, the relays with the younger kids are a hoot to watch! 

When I left the meet, alone in my car, I really didn't want to go home. I didn't want to be home alone this weekend. Maybe because I was home alone last weekend too? Who knows. As this morning rolled around I realized I was feeling VERY hormonal, and that my feeling lonely probably had more to do with that than anything else. So I figured it was time to put on my big girl panties and get something done! I went to work getting the last of the junk cleaned out of Angela's old room, and steam cleaned the carpet as well. Now Dean and I can get the spare bed moved upstairs to that room so we'll have a spare bedroom. Next project? THE OFFICE! If anyone is in need of one or two very nice cherrywood desks, let me know! We'll be listing them on craigslist soon!

The phone rang around noon, and Rob was the first to call me. The first words out of his mouth were "Happy Mother's Day!" which made me cry. I'd been on the verge of tears all weekend so this was really no surprise. He updated me on what's going on in his life (please add him to your prayer list!) and the kids. Rob has 3 kids who I've never met. (see my previous post, when they came up 3 years ago they came without kids.) It's hard for me to consider the my grandkids because not only have I never met them, but I really don't know where my place would be with them. They do see their biological grandmothers pretty regularly. I'm just some lady their daddy talks to on the phone!

Dean was the next to call. And I tried really hard not to cry AGAIN! It was an effort for him to call, since they don't have cell phone service where they are. I'm glad he made the effort, because I needed that today.

The next phone call was from Noah and his girlfriend Kayla. They said they were going to stop by, until I warned them I'd put them to work moving some stuff for me.  Since they were a little under the weather from last night's escapades, they decided not to stop. LOL That was fine with me since I was really headed for a nap! 

A little while later Angela's dad brought her home. Bryon was along. I haven't gotten to see him for several weeks, so it was a pleasure. I wish we had a chance to just sit down and visit. One of these days we will!

When Angela got out of the truck she came running at me with one of her bear hugs that can take an adult down. (and they have!) She and I went in to watch our favorite Sunday evening shows together. When it was time for bed we sang her favorite song, "Tomorrow", which she requests every night. As I gave her a kiss goodnight ("On my cheek, not my forehead mom.") she wrapped her arms around my neck. "I yuv you mom. I miss you I gone." 

Tyler was the last to call me late this evening. It was good to hear his voice. I'll be picking him up in the morning, helping him get to his next step on the road to recovery.

So, while I started the weekend feeling down and lonely, it ended with me having heard from everyone I love the most. Really, that was the best Mother's Day gift of all. I didn't need people around me, I just needed to know that the people I love are alive and well. 

2 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Awww Leah, I'm glad your day ended up ok after all!! Kennedy does the same thing about kisses! She will tell me "cheek" and turn her cheek to me for a kiss, then she turns her head and says "other cheek!" and I kiss that one too. Then she kisses both of my cheeks. I think she's part French! haha

Lund7 said...

Leah, Could you contact me sometime? I would love to talk to you about your experiences at Glacier Hills. Thanks! Lynda