Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Monday, March 10, 2008

The Fledgling

The Fledgling (aka my son Tyler) is coming home. You may remember my post a couple weeks ago when he decided to up and move from Minnesota to California. No money to speak of, no job, just an adventure of sorts. You know...the kind that cause mothers to go gray.

He's been calling me every couple of days or so, just to check in and tell me of their latest escapade. By his 3rd day out there he was complaining about how hot it was. By the end of the first week none of them had found a job. ("Mom! All immigrants have the minimum wage jobs!"...something we warned him about being 20 or so miles from the border.)

About a week and a half ago he called me and sounded really down. "You were right mom. I should have listened to you. How come you're always right about stuff like this? Anyway, we're coming back we just have to get bus tickets. Only problem is we only have $70 left and it costs $175 for two of us. (they went with 3, turns out the 3rd kid is staying out there.) I offered to buy him bus tickets but no, he didn't want me to do that. I offered to wire him some money so they could EAT on the trip home but no, he didn't want me to do that either.

I haven't heard from him since. His phone is now disconnected, and I know he doesn't have any money left.

And so the mother worries.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

oh gosh Leah. I hope he's on his way home, and just shows up REALLY SOON!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Oh geez! Even when they're grown we worry! Praying he gets home safely... and learns that just MAYBE mom knows what she's talking about! ;)

Laurie said...

........and a mom worries.......

yes, even as my kids have left the nest..... I still worry. Sometimes when I hear about terrible weather, I want to call and sometimes.... I'm kinda glad I don't know. Praying he gets home safe...... and soon. I bet Angela will be glad when he's home, too. That "adjustment" to him being gone, can't be helping things with her, either.