Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Time hop after Cancer



Every day the Timehop app reminds me of some event over the last few years. For some things, I don't need a reminder. Like a birthday or anniversary their dates are stuck in my head.

July 17, 2014

That date marked my last round of chemo. It was the hardest of all my rounds. Not just because chemo side effects are cumulative, but because I had opted to skip the Neulasta shot that caused so much of the bone pain. Normally I bounced back from each round in about 10 days, but that last one took six weeks.

This week I will go for my two year check up. Once you have breast cancer, you are forever a cancer patient. Forever. Its possible you will will never develop breast cancer again, or you could within just a few months. Because my risk of recurrence in the first five years is relatively high, my check ups always come with a lot of anxiety. Because I've had a mastectomy, there will be no lumps to look for. Because I have implants there will be no mammogram. There is only blood work to look for tumor markers, and PET scans to find active cancer cells. If cancer is found, I will automatically be stage 4.

But for today, I continue believing I am fine, I am healthy, and I am here. 

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I've never had cancer so I can't imagine what you've been through but I'm sure glad to hear that today you are fine, healthy and here!