Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Friday, January 31, 2014

Mom

Asher is awesome at getting our attention. If you're familiar with attention-getting techniques for people who are deaf/hard of hearing, he has "the wave" down pat. Sometimes he uses a sound with the wave to get our attention. For those who are new, Asher is hearing.

We've been working for several weeks on getting Asher to say "Mom" instead when he wants my attention. Twenty times a day we prompt him. I pretend to be oblivious while I wait for him to say it. The same routine, over and over, day after day, in hopes that he'll get it.

Today Abel, who is hard of hearing, came up to me, tapped me gently on the shoulder and said, "Mom."

I'm sure he wondered what he did to make me cry.

5 comments:

abby said...

I think this is my favorite post ever. So sweet.

Dianna said...

Oh Leah! My heart absolutely melted when I read this post. What great strides you are making with all the kids. Major kudos to you and Dean!!!

Melissa said...

Love that Abel!

Unknown said...

Awww more tears! He IS learning; and the most important things!


Unknown said...

OH!!! LOVE it!!