Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Orphan Hair

I have a thing with my boys' hair. Not my big boys, they can do whatever they want. LOL My little boys, Axel, Asher and Abel.

You see, all the boys came to us with orphan haircuts. Well, Axel's was just a very short cut, but pretty darned closed to the shaven heads Abel and Asher had. Abel even had his EYELASHES shaved! I'm still shaking my head at that one.

As an adoptive mom, there are things I missed out on in the lives of my boys. There are things I have had to learn about them. When you give birth to a new baby, most moms do a quick examination of their newborns body; counting fingers and toes, verifying the baby's gender, looking at their ears, etc. When you adopt a child and you're handed this kid you know nothing about, it's instinct to want to do the same thing. I'll never forget my shock at Axel's Pectus Carinatum (pigeon chest.), some things I found on Asher, or seeing the extent of tinea versicolor on Abel. 

But one thing I couldn't know right away, which only time would reveal, is what kind of hair my kids have. Do they have curls? Wave? Is his hair thick? Is it thin? Because of this, I have been reluctant to cut the boys hair. 

Axel has been with us 2 1/2 years.


I've let his hair grow a couple of times now. Here's my favorite length on him. Dean won't let me grow it any longer than this.  Axel's hair is very fine and soft.

We have also discovered that Axel's hairline is already receding, and the hair on top of his head is getting thinner. Unfortunately for Axel, genetics are not on his side when it comes to keeping his hair.

Asher's hair is very thick! He gets hot and his hair is soaked with sweat. He has a little bit of wave to his hair and I just love it!! 

Asher's hair is very soft and thick.

Now we have Abel.



I'm still discovering what his hair is like. He has a little bit of curl to his hair. It's starting to curl into his ears. LOL He also has very thick hair. Even though it's summer, I'm letting it grow. Just like the other boys, I want to know what his hair is like. So far it's very coarse. It is also very thick.

In all honesty, I really do have a "thing" about their hair. Like...a THING! So if you see me out and about, and my kids are looking rather shaggy, it's not because I'm too lazy to get their hair cut, or that I don't care. It's because I'm still learning about them. 

4 comments:

abby said...

Milo has been home 4 years and I haven't cut his hair yet. I get it.

Unknown said...

I remember when Owen was born and he had this thin shock of dark hair and I wondered if he would have his dad's Asian (stick-stock straight coarse) hair or my thick with a bit of a wave hair. Well he is like me, finally! But he sweats so much that his hair is always wet in the summer. It's crazy!

I think it's cool to want to know this about your boys.

Cindy said...

This is awesome. I think it's sweet that you have a 'thing' about their hair.

Toni said...

This is so sweet.

I love that last picture of Abel!