Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Independence..At 4:30 a.m?

Where are most of you at 4:30 a.m? Are you in bed sleeping? If you're like me, not only are you sleeping but it's probably the best sleep you've gotten all night. For some reason that time of the night (morning) is when I sleep best. Maybe it's because Dean is up and I can move into his warm spot. Maybe it's the big fluffy dog who's joined me. Who knows?

A couple days ago my great sleep was interrupted by Angela in my door, "I'm take a shower now." she said.

WHAT? There is something wrong with this. Not only do I normally have to FIGHT and TRICK her into taking showers, but we certainly don't do it at 4:30 in the morning. Besides, the shower was occupied by Dean. So after a few minutes discussion I convinced her to crawl back into bed....(Please Angela? I'll even let you lay in my bed.")

Fast forward to this morning. Dean and I were up. Once in awhile I'll get up with him because nature calls or something, and he likes when I visit with him while he gets ready for work. (as I gaze outside into the dark and wonder why in the world I'm awake.) While he was taking his shower I came into the office to check some email. Again, I hear "I'm take a shower."

"Oh Angela. Honey, it's still dark outside. C'mon, lets go back to bed where I belong." I had just come back into the office to turn off the computer when Dean said, "The shower is running. Did you really let her get in there?"

YUP...there she was. Man she's fast! Already had shampoo in her hair! And there were clean clothes (matching even!) laying on the bathroom counter. I wasn't allowed to help though, nor help her brush her hair...or dry it. No, I was banished from the bathroom. I was given the palm of her hand and a "NO Mom. I'll do it. Go."

Now it's 5:30 and she's already made her breakfast. :"No Angela, tuna isn't so great this early. How about toast?") Oh it's gonna be a long day. For me, for her, and sadly...for her teachers!

No comments: