Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Monday, October 01, 2018

Breast Cancer Awareness 2018

It's been four and a half years since I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It seems like forever ago, and yet it seems like yesterday, all at the same time. Life is good!!! I am approaching the 5 year mark - a very important milestone in the life of a breast cancer patient! At 5 years, I can get life insurance!!! Well, that and statistically one's risk of recurrence decreases significantly.

So far I am still NED = No Evidence of Disease. You see, with breast cancer, there is no such thing as "cancer free", because it takes only ONCE undetectable cell to cross the lymph system, to spread through your body. Instead we are labeled "NED", because there is no detectable cancer found. Last spring I was all freaked out and convinced I had developed lymphoma as a result of chemo. My Oncologist ordered a PET scan, and all was well. That scan made me feel SO much better, knowing there was nothing hiding anywhere. At least nothing any scan could pick up.

So here I am.

I want to go back a bit, and share some things about cancer that I never did before. I don't know if the average person understands how devastating breast cancer can be. This year, after much thought and prayer, I have finally decided to share pictures. Not just pictures of my smiling self, but pictures of the effects of surgery. Yes, I'm going to show you pictures of my breasts, both my old and my new. I don't even remember my old breasts anymore. I don't remember how they felt in my hands or on my body. My new ones don't feel like real breasts. I can feel the implants inside them, and they cause me a few (minor) problems here and there, which I like to make jokes about.

If you are here for the first time, THIS LINK will take you to the post I wrote about the day I was diagnosed. So far in my 51 years, that was the darkest day of my life.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Congrats on the 5 Year mark!

Leslie said...

Well, almost 5 year mark (I misread)