Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Back in Action!

 I have a rule of 3. If three people make a request, then I’ll consider doing something. This morning the 3rd person asked if I would consider starting to blog again, since our family is changing. If you’ve been around awhile, you know I’ve attempted to restart many times, only to quickly fall back to Facebook or other social media. But, I’m willing to give it a shot again. 

Let me bring you up to speed:

In June 2020, we moved, fairly suddenly, to a new home. We moved out of the suburban “everyone has a patch of green grasse” space that we loved, to our dream home in rural Minnesota, population 900. Although we’re now very rural, we have lots of people we love close by! My son Tyler and his family live across the street, several grandchildren within blocks, and my sister also right here just a few blocks away. Sadly a year ago this month we lost her husband, my brother in law Bob, to Covid. Our life is full and we love it. 

Let me backtrack a bit more…

In February 2020 I was sent the profile of a 12 year old girl in Bulgaria in need of a family. The person who sent it thought of us because we use ASL to communicate, and this girl had very limited speech. At the time the pandemic was just starting and we weren’t in any position to even consider starting and adoption. I didn’t even tell Dean about her. Then in April we found our new, house, and moved in June. 

In August 2020, the picture of that girl popped up on my phone (thanks iPhone!) I showed it to Dean. “Looks like she could be our daughter” he said. And you know I ran with that! In September we officially said YES! And started the process to adopt from Bulgaria. Here is her referral picture. 



Our previous homestudy agency had closed due to the owner retiring, and because we are now very rural, it took us awhile to find a new homestudy agency. Let me tell you, homestudies in Minnesota have dramatically increased in price! 

Fast forward some more to November 2021, when I made my first trip to Bulgaria to meet our new daughter and accept her referral. 

To be Continued…

1 comment:

Line-Marie said...

Beautiful girl. Can't wait to hear more about her!